Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
It is advised to consult your doctor or pharmacist when any of these side effect manifest.
Some people may experience worsening of a previous medical condition (such as an old infection) as their immune systems improve, or develop new conditions because their immune systems have become overactive. This reaction may occur at any time (soon after starting HIV treatment or many months later).
Tell your doctor right away if you have any serious side effects, including:
- unexplained weight loss,
- persistent muscle aches/weakness,
- joint pain,
- numbness/tingling of the hands/feet/arms/legs,
- severe tiredness,
- vision changes,
- severe/persistent headaches,
- signs of infection (such as fever, chills, trouble breathing, cough, non-healing skin sores),
- signs of anoveractive thyroid (such as irritability, nervousness, heat intolerance, fast/pounding/irregular heartbeat, bulging eyes, unusual growth in the neck/thyroidknown as a goiter),
- signs of a certain nerve problem known as Guillain-Barre Syndrome (such as difficulty breathing/swallowing/moving your eyes, drooping face, paralysis, slurred speech).
Seek immediate medical attention if any of these rare but serious side effects occur:
- symptoms of a heart attack (such as chest/jaw/left arm pain, shortness of breath, unusual sweating),
- fast/slow/irregular heartbeat,
- severe dizziness,
- persistent nausea/vomiting,
- stomach/abdominal pain,
- dark urine,
Changes in body fat may occur while you are taking this medication (such as increased fat in the upper back and stomach areas, decreased fat in the arms and legs). The cause and long-term effects of these changes are unknown. Discuss the risks and benefits of treatment with your doctor, as well as the possible use ofexercise to reduce this side effect.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including:
- itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat),
- severe dizziness,
- trouble breathing.
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.