Phenol exposure may cause moderate to severe irritation and other health problems. Phenol is a crystalline, colorless to light-pink solid with a pleasant, pungent smell. Phenol’s main risk is that it may quickly enter the skin and cause serious burns. Phenol exposure may be absorbed via very tiny patches of skin in toxic and even lethal doses. Skin burns may not hurt because of the local anesthetic qualities of the substance. If phenol is ingested, breathed, or absorbed via the skin, it may be deadly. Because phenol may permeate leather, caution should be taken to avoid stepping in spills.
Moreover, phenol is utilized in a variety of sectors. It is utilized in medicine as a disinfectant, antiseptic, and slimicide, as well as in the production of a variety of goods. Phenol exposure may endanger workers. The amount of injury, however, is determined by the duration, dosage, and task performed.