HYDROGEN CHLORIDE

Hydrogen chloride (HCl) has a strong odor and is a colorless to somewhat yellow gas. It is employed in tanning leather, electroplating metals, pickling, cleaning, manufacturing, and refining a broad range of goods. Numerous polymers may also produce hydrogen chloride when burned. Hydrogen chloride is harmful because it may irritate the larynx, throat, eyes, nose, and skin.

Furthermore, exposure to liquid hydrogen chloride might result in frostbite. Workers can be harmed by hydrogen chloride toxicity. The level of harm is based on the duration, dosage, and task performed.

SYMPTOMS

Symptoms of hydrogen chloride ingestion include:

  • Shock characterized by a rapid decrease in blood pressure
  • Fever
  • Extensive chest pain
  • Violent vomiting
  • Unbearable abdominal pain
  • Breathing difficulties as a result of throat swelling
  • Drooling
  • Throat and mouth burn, creating excruciating agony

Symptoms of inhaling hydrogen chloride:

  • Shortness of breath
  • Weakness
  • A quick pulse
  • Low blood pressure
  • Dizziness
  • Spitting up blood
  • Choking
  • Chest tightness
  • Fingernails and lips have a bluish tint

When the toxin comes into contact with your eyes or skin, you can experience the following symptoms:

  • Vision Loss
  • Pain
  • Burns
  • Blisters

DIAGNOSIS

The provider will measure and monitor vital signs such as pulse, blood pressure, temperature, and breathing rate. The patient might also be subjected to the following:

  • ECG
  • CT scan
  • Chest X-ray
  • Endoscopy
  • Bronchoscopy
  • Urine and blood test

TREATMENT

The patient might undergo the following treatments, depending on the severity and mode of hydrogen chloride exposure:

  • Fluids via a vein (IV)
  • Airway assistance, like a ventilator, intubation, or oxygen
  • Medications for symptom relief
  • If the sufferer is found soon after consuming the poison, a tube via the nose is inserted into the stomach to aspirate any residual acid.

Treatment for skin exposure may include:

  • Skin washing, potentially every several hours for a couple of days
  • Move to a burn unit at a healthcare facility that specializes in burn treatment
  • Debridement or operation to remove the burned skin

Home Care:

  • If the victim inhales the toxin, relocate them to fresh air immediately.
  • Whenever the chemical is ingested, give the individual milk or water immediately unless directed by a medical expert. Don’t give them water or milk when the patient has difficulties swallowing.
  • When the chemical is on your eyes or skin, wash carefully with water.
  • Seek emergency medical attention. Don’t make someone vomit unless instructed to do so by medical experts or poison control.

Related Articles

REFERRED PAIN

Overview and FactsTypes and SymptomsDiagnosis & MedicationsOverview and Facts Referred pain is a phenomenon where pain is perceived at a [...]

QUINOLINE YELLOW

Overview and FactsTypes and SymptomsDiagnosis & MedicationsOverview and Facts Quinoline yellow is a synthetic food colorant commonly used in the [...]

PNEUMOTHORAX

Overview and FactsTypes and SymptomsDiagnosis & MedicationsOverview and Facts Pneumothorax is a condition characterized by the presence of air in [...]