According to the World Health Organization, there are two main types of dysentery:
- Bacillary dysentery
- Caused by Shigella, a bacterium.
- In Western Europe and the USA it is the most common type of dysentery among people who have not recently been to the tropics.
- Amoebic dysentery (amoebiasis)
- Caused by Entamoeba histolytica, a type of amoeba, and is more common in the tropics
Symptoms of amoebic dysentery include:
- Abdominal pain
- Fever and chills
- Nausea and vomiting
- Watery diarrhea, which can contain blood, mucus or pus
- Painful passing of stools
- Intermittent constipation