If you have any of these signs or notice them in someone else and believe they may have overdosed, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible. A doctor can tell if these signs point to an overdose most easily. They will be able to get a more accurate diagnosis by asking about the symptoms and history. Moreover, early medical intervention can significantly improve the outcome of treating a drug overdose.
The treatment for a drug overdose varies depending on the circumstances. During treatment, knowing how much of each drug was consumed might be very beneficial. The following general therapeutic approaches may be employed by healthcare professionals:
- delivering activated charcoal, which helps the body’s digestive system assimilate the medication
- clearing the air passage or putting a breathing tube
- inducing vomiting to eliminate the chemical from the stomach
- removing the material from the stomach by pumping the stomach
- administering intravenous fluids to hasten the elimination of the drug by the body
For some drug overdoses, the healthcare provider may be able to administer an antidote.