BENEFITS OF YOGA FOR DIABETES
Yoga involves various body postures and movements (known as asanas), breathing techniques and meditation, which are designed to promote physical comfort and mental composure. There are several forms of yoga, but the most widely taught include:
- Hatha Yoga
- Vinyasa Yoga
- Bikram Yoga,
- Iyengar Yoga
- Ashtanga Yoga
Both a mental and physical activity, yoga is considered to be a promising option in the treatment and prevention of diabetes.
Here are some benefits of practicing yoga for people with diabetes:
- Burns calories, which helps lower blood sugar and blood pressure, and helps maintain a healthy weight
- Reduces stress and promotes relaxation, which helps lower blood sugar
- Builds muscles, which improves insulin sensitivity and blood sugar control
- Improves balance, which can reduce risk of falls, even if you have diabetes-related nerve damage
- Helps lower LDL “bad” cholesterol and raises HDL “good” cholesterol thereby lowering risk of heart attack and stroke
- Stimulates the production of insulin-producing cells in the pancreas, which improves blood sugar control
If you’re new to yoga, consult a qualified yoga professional in your area. Or you can watch numerous free yoga videos online, especially on YouTube. There are also a lot of free yoga apps such as Daily Yoga, Yoga Studio, Down Dog, Asana Rebel, Glo, Gaia, DDP Yoga, Yoga – Track Yoga, Yoga Daily Fitness, Yoga for Beginners, Yoga Workout, and Yoga Poses for Beginners.
Check with your doctor before starting yoga or any other physical activity in case any changes need to be made to your treatment plan. Aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity yoga workout each week. That means you should be breathing harder than normal, but still able to talk, while doing yoga.
Shop at Watsons for diabetes care essentials and other healthcare products. Check out the Watsons Yoga Mat that provides comfort, cushioning, and stability for your yoga workout.
Yoga Mat 4mm
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/yoga-and-diabetes.html. Accessed 6 October 2020
https://hk.asiatatler.com/life/5-most-popular-yoga-styles-explained. Accessed 6 October 2020
https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/yoga-diabetes-poses. Accessed 6 October 2020
https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/top-yoga-iphone-android-apps. Accessed 6 October 2020