Salmeterol Xinafoate Fluticasone Propionate is a combination drug that is composed of salmeterol, a long acting beta-agonist and fluticasone, a steroid.
Fluticasone Propionate is a trifluorinated corticosteroid with strong anti-inflammatory actions. It is many time stronger than dexamethasone and beclomethasone. It inhibits various cell types such as mast cells, eosinophils, basophils, lymphocytes, macrophages and neutrophils and substances such as histamine, eicosanoids, leukotrienes and cytokines that trigger asthma and inflammation.
Salmeterol Xinafoate is a long-acting beta-2 adrenergic agonist. It stimulates adenyl cyclase inside the cells, the enzyme that brings about the change of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) to cyclic AMP. Increased cyclic AMP levels caused the relaxation of bronchial smooth muscle and inhibition of inflammatory mediators.
Do not give Salmeterol Xinafoate Fluticasone Propionate to people with the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity or allergy to any ingredients
- Hypersensitivity to salmeterol or any component
- Previous history of paradoximal bronchospasm
Salmeterol Xinafoate Fluticasone Propionate may have the following side effects:
- Finetremor of skeletal muscle
- Nervous tensions
- Peripheral vasodilatation
- Rarely muscle cramps
- Eosinophilic conditions
- Churg-Strauss syndrome
Take extra caution in patients with the following medical conditions:
- Infection of nasal passages and sinuses
- Recent nasal surgery or injury
- Pregnant and lactating women
- Children younger than 4 years old
Salmeterol Xinafoate Fluticasone Propionate may interact with the following medicines: