Headache is the most common type of pain that we experience every now and then. This may come from too much stress, lack of sleep and many more. But don’t worry; you’re not the only one suffering from headaches. Headache interferes with our daily activities, so we must look for ways to get rid of it.
Here are some 6 ways to reduce your headache:
- Rest. Admit it, most of us feel better after lying down and closing our eyes. This is a common cure for migraine sufferers, and for those with stress-induced headaches. So, find a comfortable place and rest.
- Relax. A headache that is induced by tension is even more common than migraine. On the other hand, for those who are used to living a stressful life, relaxing is easier said than done. Try several techniques to reduce your stress levels. For instance, do some breathing exercises, stretching, meditation, massages and yoga.
- Drink. Water is essential to life. Never dehydrate yourself because dehydration contributes to headache. When you feel like your headache is starting, just drink two glasses of water. This can help reduce it before it gets worse.
- Exercise. Exercise may be the last thing you have in mind when your head hurts. But for some individuals, especially those who may have tension headaches, exercise can relieve pain. To prevent headaches from occurring, try exercising regularly at least four times a week, and try to have no less than 30 minutes of aerobic exercise every session.
- Take anti-inflammatory medications. Ibuprofen and Paracetamol can relieve headaches. For adults, take 400mg of Ibuprofen or 500mg of Paracetamol when the symptoms first begin. It’s okay to take these two together and you can take them every 6 hours. But first, check the label of any medications you are taking and make sure you don’t have allergies.
- Try alternative treatments. Even though there is no clear proof that alternative therapies are effective for headaches, some individuals have great success from methods like acupuncture. Certain teas such as lemon-ginger and peppermint can also relieve headaches.
Always be on the lookout for accompanying symptoms like fever, weakness, vomiting, numbness, or others. If this occurs, visit a doctor.
Remember that everyone is not the same, and you should try several therapies to see what works for you. Lastly, always try to avoid stress, eat well, sleep well and have good health habits.